An interesting article was posted on the BBC website today. It posed the question of how the ice cream treat called the "99" got its name. 99% of Blighty's Blog readers must be familiar with the British 99, but for the other 1% I'll descibe it as a soft ice cream cone with a Cadbury's Flake stuck in it. No official origin for the name is known but there are some intriguing theories. One of my favourites is based on the fact that the initials for ice cream - IC - is one way of representing the number 99 using Roman numerals. Another theory suggests that a Flake is made up with 99 layers of chocolate. If you have an answer, click on the comment link at the bottom of this post and share it with us.
Oh yes, a "99 with Monkey's Blood" is a 99 with raspberry sauce poured on top.
"Comedy always works best when it is mean-spirited" - John Cleese
Author John Corby also writes as "Bulldogge" for the British Canadian newspaper.
|A Farthingsworth of Tall Tales from Blighty's Fameless Blog|
|Newsflash from New York (no, not that one!) |  Are the British better drivers? |  The Story of the Telephone Kiosk |  Drinking Nelson's Blood |  Screaming Jelly Babies |  Flying to the UK is very dangerous! |  Brits to drive on the right |  Who hung the monkey? |  Upper class virgins |  Double, double trouble |  What a Lovely Morning for a War|